VERSATILE NEW SPACETOURER IN GENEVA
NEW SPACETOURER IN GENEVA
The versatile New Citroën SpaceTourer will make its World Premiere at the Geneva Motor Show in March, where its ability to tackle the rigours of family and business life head-on, will be on display.
The SpaceTourer combines comfort, practicality and good looks with dynamic performance and remarkable fuel efficiency. Cutting edge technology and a new platform provide top-level safety and a user-friendly experience.
Its new modular EMP2-based platform, a variant of the one used by the C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso, provides more cabin space and boot volume, as well as superior manoeuvrability.
Available in three variants, including a 4.60m long model, a first in the market, which can seat up to nine people, the SpaceTourer is designed with both contemporary family and business life in mind.
Features such as hands-free sliding side doors and a rear window that opens fully, are indicative of this practical vehicle.
The New Citroën SpaceTourer’s uncluttered and flowing styling instils a sense of robust assurance without appearing aggressive.
The position of the wheels, together with very short overhangs, ensures maximisation of the well-measured proportions of the vehicle and its spacious interior.
The front design consists of a short horizontally-styled bonnet with large, high-set headlights, providing a commanding view of the road.
In addition, the front features a broad, protective bumper with strong black air intake grilles that contrast and accentuate the SpaceTourer's styling. Vertical LED daytime running lights are seamlessly
integrated with the fog lamps, giving the SpaceTourer a smart appearance but more importantly excellent illumination.
The side view of the SpaceTourer reveals the spacious interior with its wide sliding side doors and expansive glazed areas. Blending style and functionality, the rear end offers a wide tailgate that provides access to the large boot.To accentuate these styling attributes, the SpaceTourer is available with eight body colours, from Onyx Black, Imperial Blue, Rich Oak Brown, Platinum Grey and Arctic Steel to the luminous Tourmaline
Orange, Sand and Polar White. It is also available with 17-inch ‘Curve’ alloy wheels.
NEW PLATFORM: BETTER PERFORMANCE, MORE ROOM
The Citroën SpaceTourer is built on a new variant of the modular EMP2 platform used by the C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso. It inherits the entire front part of that platform and all of its advantages in terms
of the integration of latest generation powertrain components, such as the engine and gearbox.
The rest of the platform was designed entirely for the SpaceTourer. There are new front and rear axles, which mean SpaceTourer is able to carry loads of up to 1,400kg. The platform's modular design allows
for two wheelbases (2.92m and 3.27m) as well as two rear overhangs (0.80m and 1.15m). The combination allows for 3 body lengths: XS at 4.60m (a first in the segment) with the shorter wheelbase. Then there is the M at 4.95m and XL at 5.30m with the longer wheelbase.
PRACTICALITY AND VERSATILITY FOR FAMILY AND BUSINESS LIFE
The SpaceTourer is available in two trim levels*:
The SpaceTourer Feel is available in three lengths, with five, seven or eight seats. This version is designed for modern family life and for those who like to travel in larger groups. The interior is highly
modular, with sliding seats on rails for optimal boot volume and added leg room. With seats featuring reclining backs that can fold down onto the cushion (passenger seats plus rows 2 and 3), drivers can
accommodate the most unwieldy of objects for leisure or for the home in an instant.
The SpaceTourer Business is available in three lengths with five to nine seats. This version, with its prestigious styling has professional passenger transport use in mind (such as hotel shuttles, taxis etc).
The SpaceTourer Business can be configured "à la carte" in terms of the number of seats and the equipment to create an entirely bespoke vehicle.
The SpaceTourer makes executive transport easier. It can accommodate up to 9 people in an all-new length in the segment of just 4.60m. Yet, at just 1.90m high, it is perfectly suited to all driving situations, giving access to city car parks, shopping centres and airports, which can be difficult to access for some vehicles in this segment.
The innovative and practical SpaceTourer is available with:
- Hands-free access: an exclusive in this segment, enabling motorists to open and close the side doors contact-free when both their hands are full. With a simple movement of the foot, under the corner of the
rear bumper, the vehicle unlocks and the sliding side door on the driver’s side opens automatically. This is particularly useful when securing infants into their child seats or when loading luggage;
- An opening rear window: for optimal boot loading or for easy access when the tailgate cannot be opened due to limited access behind the vehicle. The window is opened using a discreet button to the
left of the registration plate;
- Motorised sliding side doors: This feature is a real plus for drivers of the SpaceTourer Business, as they can open and close the doors from the front of the vehicle without passengers having to intervene;
- Numerous storage compartments: The front of the cabin is home to a lower glove box with an audio jack, 12V socket and a USB socket. The upper glove box is lit and refrigerated. There are cup holders on
both sides of the dashboard, a central upper storage area and door storage units large enough for 1.5-litre bottles. Rear passengers are also treated to aircraft-style trays, sun blinds and power sockets.
CLASSIC CITROËN COMFORT FOR LONG JOURNEYS
The spacious and uncluttered interior of the Citroën SpaceTourer has been designed for long-distance journeys, ensuring each passenger benefits from the highest standards in terms of comfort and relaxation.
With its multiple windows and large glass roof with blinds that can be closed separately in two sections, passengers can enjoy natural light flooding the interior of the vehicle.
Featuring a raised seating position, drivers have greater visibility of the road. The dashboard is also slightly raised, so that drivers have everything at their fingertips, including the instrument panel (with its graphic and contemporary dials), the 7-inch touchscreen, heating controls, storage areas and the buttons that operate the electric sliding side doors.
The seats are upholstered in soft and warm materials for premium comfort levels. The SpaceTourer is available with a Claudia black leather trim with a special graphic design.
Passengers in rows two and three benefit from independent, sliding and reclining seats with comfortable head rests and arm rests. Well-being is further enhanced by the overhead console in the centre of the cabin, with soft-flow air blowers for the air conditioning and aircraft-style ambient lighting.
Calm and serene are the key themes for the design of the cabin ambience. For extra comfort, the SpaceTourer features special acoustic treatment. Noise and vibration have been reduced through the use of absorbent materials around the cabin.
Optimal ride comfort
Whatever the road surface, the Citroën SpaceTourer boasts top-notch ride comfort thanks to its running gear – providing ultra-precise steering – and excellent damping. It is equipped with a reinforced MacPherson type front axle with an anti-roll bar and a new oblique-wishbone rear axle, making it possible to transport nine people and their luggage.
The two axles combine to deliver a perfect combination of road holding, handling and ride comfort, whether transporting passengers or not and offering excellent driving pleasure at all times.
For maximum comfort, with or without passengers on board, the springs feature variable stiffness and the shock absorbers are load-sensitive with a "passive" system that adjusts springing and damping depending on the road. This ensures the SpaceTourer’s driving comfort is segment leading.
ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES THAT MAKE LIFE EASIER
Easy, relaxed driving
In addition to useful everyday functions such as the keyless entry and start, and hands-free sliding side doors, the Citroën SpaceTourer features a whole host of other technologies that make driving safer, more practical and easier:
New 7-inch tablet: making its debut on the SpaceTourer. It is used to control all the media, telephone and navigation functions and has a touchscreen for ease of use.
- Mirror Screen technology: enabling motorists to enjoy their smartphone apps on the 7-inch tablet in complete safety. The function is compatible with Apple CarPlayTM and MirrorLink® technology.
- Citroën Connect Nav: a new 3D navigation system that is touch-controlled and connected in real time. This new-generation system, making its debut on the SpaceTourer, is controlled via voice recognition and the 7-inch touchscreen. It comes with connected services such as TomTom Traffic – for real-time traffic information – or to find service station locations (complete with petrol prices) and car parks. There is also weather information and a local point-of-interest search function. Users will also appreciate the danger zones option, informing them with visuals and sounds of accident black spots. Citroën Connect Nav also comprises the Mirror Screen function.
- Head-up display: allowing drivers to consult essential driving information (actual and recommended speed, cruise control/speed limiter setting, navigation instructions, and collision risk alerts) on a
transparent panel in their direct line of vision while keeping their eyes on the road. This is a first for a vehicle in this segment.
- Smart beam headlight function: which automatically switches between high and low beams. The system activates at night at speeds of over 15 mph and deactivates under 10 mph.
- Park Assist 180°: With this exclusive system, the rear camera sends an image to the 7-inch touchscreen. It shows the area behind the vehicle from above with a 180° view. When the vehicle nears an obstacle, the system zooms in to provide a more accurate display of the distance remaining.
- Grip Control: an upgraded anti-skid system that optimises wheel grip consistent with the road surface.
Technologies for safety
The SpaceTourer is packed with technologies to anticipate events and to provide assistance as part of a safe and relaxed driving experience. It is equipped with:
- Lane departure warning system (LDWS): which detects the involuntary crossing of white lines (continuous or dotted) and alerts the driver with a sound signal and a visual display on the instrument cluster;
- Ultrasonic blind spot monitoring system: which informs drivers if a vehicle is present in their blind spot via an orange light that appears on the door mirror. The system comprises four sensors located in the front and rear bumpers. It activates between 7 mph and motorway speeds;
- Road sign recognition system: This all-new system works using a camera in the upper part of the windscreen to detect speed limit signs, as well as providing drivers with information on current traffic limits at all times. Drivers can touch a button to accept a speed recommendation and use it as a basis for their cruise control/speed limiter settings;
- Coffee Break Alert: which advises drivers to take a break after two hours of uninterrupted driving. A warning is shown on the instrument cluster and the system issues a second alert if the driver continues for a further hour;
- Driver Attention Alert system: This system monitors the behaviour of the driver via the multi-function camera, which is located on the upper part of the windscreen. It monitors how the vehicle is being driven in relation to road positioning. If the driver’s concentration level should appear to decrease, they are alerted by a sound and visual signal;
- Active cruise control: enabling the vehicle to adjust to the speed of the car in front. The system can reduce the vehicle’s speed to 12 mph, by adjusting the accelerator only. Active braking is not initiated.
The system is particularly well adapted to heavy, but moving traffic;
- Collision Alert: This system informs drivers when there is risk of an imminent collision, so that they can react. A sound and visual alert begins just before the activation of the automatic braking function.
The system activates at two thresholds:
o Critical level 1: orange alert informing drivers that they are too close to the vehicle in front.
o Critical level 2: red alert informing drivers that they must brake;
- Active Safety Brake: Making its debut on the New Citroën SpaceTourer, this function serves to reduce the physical impact by engaging the braking system on behalf of the driver. This is as a direct result of information from the multi-function camera on the upper part of the windscreen. It activates in the following instances:
o 0 to 19 mph: preventing collisions with slowly moving vehicles, stationary vehicles, obstaclesor pedestrians.
o Above 19 mph: reducing speed before impact.
These advanced technologies ensure that driving is safe and more enjoyable.
EuroNCAP 5-Star Rating
The Citroën SpaceTourer scored the maximum 5-star rating in recent EuroNCAP tests. The result acknowledges the efforts that went in to the vehicle’s development, along with the presence of a
comprehensive set of comfort and safety equipment, and the new model's latest-generation modular platform.
The results were obtained using EuroNCAP's 2015 protocol, with five-star ratings in the four categories:
- Adult protection: 87%.
- Child protection: 91%.
- Pedestrian protection: 64%.
- Safety assist: 78%.
The Citroën SpaceTourer is available with five powertrains, all featuring BlueHDi diesel engines.
This new generation of engines, launched by Citroën in late 2013, considerably cuts nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions while reducing CO2 emissions thanks to an innovative exhaust line comprising of:
- An oxidation catalyst located at the engine exit point to eliminate the hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) produced by combustion,
- A selective catalytic reduction (SCR) module, positioned ahead of the particulate filter to transform, via the injection of AdBlue®* (a water/urea mix), up to 90% of nitrogen oxide (NOx) into water vapour
(H2O) and nitrogen (N2).
- A particulate filter system, launched in a world first by PSA Peugeot Citroën in 2000, to eliminate 99.9% of particulates.
The SCR module, positioned ahead of the particulate filter, is the only post-treatment system capable of reducing NOx emissions by up to 90% while cutting CO2 emissions by up to 4%.
The diesel engines powering the Citroën SpaceTourer deliver the following combined-cycle fuel
consumption and CO2 emissions (XS length):
- BlueHDi 95 manual: 5.5l /100km (51.4mpg) and 144g/km of CO2
- BlueHDi 95 S&S ETG6: 5.2l / 100km (54.3mpg) and 135g/km of CO2*
- BlueHDi 115 S&S 6-sp. manual: 5.1l /100km (55.4mpg) and 133g/km of CO2
- BlueHDi 150 S&S 6-sp. manual: 5.3l /100km (53.3mpg) and 139g/km of CO2
- BlueHDi 180 S&S EAT6: 5.8l /100km (48.7mpg) and 151g/km of CO2*
*AdBlue® is stored in a 22.4-litre tank, which provides a range of 15,000km. The tank is filled via a flap at the front of the vehicle.
These latest-generation engines, combined with an aerodynamic vehicle body and controlled mass (100kg to 300kg lighter than other vehicles in the segment with the same power), deliver the lowest fuel consumption and CO2 emissions in the segment.
In addition to optimised fuel consumption, the engines help to reduce running costs, with a servicing interval of 25,000 miles or two years.